Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day of Service

Following in the footsteps of my good friend and brilliant blogger, Dr. Jay, I wanted to point FWF readers in the direction of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. It's a call for people to spend their MLK Day (especially if you have the day off) to volunteer in some capacity in your community. And, if you can't volunteer on Monday for whatever reason, I'd urge you to take some time to think about where and when you might be able to start volunteering (if you're not doing so already). As a regular volunteer at my local animal shelter, my experience has been extraordinarily positive; I look forward to going there every week, and I think it really might be one of the most fun and rewarding things in my life right now.

If you have no idea where to start, Volunteer Match and All for Good are good places to start looking for volunteer opportunities in your community. Also, if you can afford it and want to help those whose lives and livelihoods have been devastated by the earthquake in Haiti, please consider donating to Partners in Health, Doctors Without Borders, or The Red Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment