Friday, January 30, 2009

Some Entertainment News


According to Just Jared (and with a h/t to After Ellen for the link), Amy Poehler's new television series, created by The Office executive producers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur and co-starring Rashida Jones, has begun filming. The new show Public Service will premiere on Thursday, April 9th at 8:30pm on NBC. As a huge fan of Poehler's, and an even bigger fan of women headlining sitcoms, I'm looking forward to it!

In a related vein, Awards Daily published a list of 2008’s Top Ten Best Written Female Characters (h/t Women and Hollywood). They are, in order:

1. Eve, Wall-E,
2. Ray Eddy (Melissa Leo), Frozen River
3. Sister Aloysius Beauvier (Meryl Streep), Doubt
4. April Wheeler (Kate Winslet), Revolutionary Road
5. Queenie (Taraji P. Henson), Daisy (Cate Blanchett) and Elizabeth Abbo (Tilda Swinton), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
6. Juliette Fontaine (Kristin Scott Thomas), I’ve Loved You So Long
7. Poppy (Sally Hawkins), Happy-Go-Lucky
8. Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt) and Kym (Anne Hathaway), Rachel Getting Married
9. Cassidy (Marisa Tomei), The Wrestler
10. [Honorable mentions] Wendy (Michelle Williams), Wendy and Lucy, Kate Walker (Emma Thompson), Last Chance Harvey, and Maria Elena (Penelope Cruz), Vicky Cristina Barcelona

I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that #1 is a robot, but Eve is a pretty awesome character. I haven't seen most of the films listed (although I can't wait to see #6 and I'm going to see #8 tonight); I did see The Wrestler and have to agree that Marisa Tomei (who is generally not my favorite actor in the world, and that's an understatement) was incredible.

What do you all think about the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment