Sunday, November 16, 2008

Feminist Flashback #11

From season 5 of The Simpsons:



If you can get a hold of the whole episode, do. If not, here are a few quotes (Lisa's my hero):

Lisa, on her idea for a new talking doll: She'll have the wisdom of Gertrude Stein and the wit of Cathy Guisewite, the tenacity of Nina Totenberg, and the common sense of Elizabeth Cady Stanton! And to top it off, the down-to-earth good looks of Eleanor Roosevelt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa: They cannot keep making dolls like this...something has to be done!
Marge: Lisa, ordinarily I'd say you should stand up for what you believe in. But you've been doing that an awful lot lately!
Bart: Yeah. You made us march in that gay rights parade!
[Holds up newspaper showing gay parade with Bart prominently in front looking surprised]
Homer: And we can't watch Fox because they own those chemical weapon plants in Syria.
Lisa: I can't believe you're just going to stand by as your daughters grow up in a world where this, this, is their role model.
Marge: I had a Malibu Stacy when I was little and I turned out all right. Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream!
Stacy: Now low let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the recording studio:
Techie: Talking doll, take eight.
Lisa: "When I get married, I'm keeping my own name." Oh, no, that should probably be "If I choose to get married."
Techie: Uh, look, little girl, we got other talking dollies to record today.

Quotes are from this episode transcript).

No comments:

Post a Comment