Thursday, September 4, 2008

How sexist! But only when it's convenient...

As seems to happen a lot, Jon Stewart last night picked up on what's been really bothering me about all this talk about the sexism of the MSM and the Democrats towards Gov. Palin. I know, I know, The Daily Show isn't "real" news, but Stewart provides some pretty compelling evidence of the hypocrisy. And he's funny:



Like I said earlier, it's completely hypocritical to unilaterally claim sexist treatment (i.e. to say in 2007 that Sen. Clinton should "suck it up" and then raise a ruckus in 2008 when any mention is made of Gov. Palin's family life). Sexism and misogyny are issues of equality and respect for all women, not convenient rhetorical devices (qua political machinations) useful in negating legitimate critiques.

Some things people have said about Palin are sexist. Some things are not. And I think we, especially as feminists, should be able to recognize the difference.

I may be repeating myself a wee bit, but I think this is something that bears repeating. Still, I'll climb off my soapbox now and not speak of this again. For now.

Update: Also, check out The Daily Show clip from last night posted over on Jump off the Bridge re: the Show's news team trying to get Republicans to talk about choice. It's simply priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment